Saturday, April 12, 2008

Biggest Missionary Loser--Week 3

So, here we are again. Time to weigh in. Well, first of all let me tell you I'm in a whole new world now. It's a world I assumed I would never see again. It's a world called "The 250's." That's right, it's official. I've broken into the 250 range for the first time in about 8 years. Courtney and I got married in the summer of 1999 and I can remember writing on my Missouri driver's licence that I weighed 255. So, before I give the figures for the week, let me run down a couple of other accomplishments from the past 7 days.
I can remember back in the 4th and 5th grade that we had to run a mile for our physical education class. It was some sort of "Presidential Fitness" program that forced elementary school kids to not be fat and lazy. Well, needless to say, even then I couldn't run a mile without stopping for a Coke on the way. As time progressed, I grew taller and bigger and considered myself more of a "strength" guy than an endurance guy. (Yeah right-only if eating cheeseburgers is a strength) I consequently was never able to run a mile straight without stopping to walk for a little while. WELL, all of that has changed now. This past Thursday night I approached the treadmill with a new determination: I would RUN a mile without stopping to walk or rest. It took me almost 13 minutes exactly to accomplish my task, but I made it. I ended up walking and running 3 km which is 2/10 of a kilometer short of 2 miles. It was a week of personal victory. I celebrated by eating FOUR pieces of dessert that Courtney had made.
So, here's the breakdown.
*I've been at this for just over four weeks now. Total weight loss as of today, Saturday April 12,
20 pounds exactly. It probably would have been 21 if I didn't eat the 4 pieces of dessert but it was worth it. So now I am at 255 the exact weight that I was at when I got married almost 9 years ago. Sweet.
*I haven't had a Coke in 32 days.
* None of my pants or shorts fit anymore.
*I've lost 7.4% of my total body weight since I started.
So, this week I'll refrain from any comment about Mr. Stover. I'll let him see if his money is where his mouth is . . . .http://www.stoversinpoland.blogspot.com
ONE QUESTION for all readers: Jason and I never talked about a prize for the winner. If anyone wants to give any suggestions for an appropriate prize, we'd love to hear it.

4 comments:

Kathi Hayes said...

Sounds like a great week for you (except for your moment of weakness--4 pieces of dessert??)Did you ever hear about the principle of moderation? What WAS that delicious dessert anyway?

The Stover Family said...

Rather than a prize maybe we can have a punishment. Something like, "the loser has to stay on this ridiculous diet for life. That's enough to motivate me.

Anonymous said...

I suggest that the loser has to buy the winner a substantial gift card to a clothing store so that Matt...um, I mean, the WINNER... can get a wardrobe that fits his skinny self.

-L

Pastor Adam Love said...

Keep it up, or down,or off, or...whatever! You are an inspiration to all of us chubby preachers.