Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Finally in Thailand


We arrived in Thailand on March 25, 2007. It was a long awaited day. The heat and humidity was pretty overwhelming. It was an unreal feeling to finally be in the place that God had called us to almost two years before. Then began the process of unpacking. Wow! We love our apartment. We are so happy to have a home after many months of being "homeless." It was a fun "homeless" though.
We have been here for just over a month now. We have had many experiences. Riding trains, taxi's, tuk-tuk's, and motorcycles. We have tried many new foods and seen many that we are not brave enough to try yet. The kids are really enjoying being in Thailand. Lindsey is ready for any new adventure. She begged us to let her ride the moto with our friend, Ya.
We started language school last week. It is really exciting to start learning the language finally.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt,

My friend, Joe Whalen, mentioned you are serving in Thailand and are trying to understand more about cultural marriage. I have served for the past 2 years as a church planter in Uganda through BIMI. I am 36 years old, have 5 children and worked as a systems engineer for 10 years. I have also been trying to understand cultural marriages. I have, through interviews and attending ceremonies, written copious notes on the customs of my tribe and am trying to compare it to what I find in the Bible.
I have a rough hypothesis of 7 parameters that define what marriage is, and 9 parameters that are not necessary to define a proper marriage ceremony. I would be interested to hear what you have found in Thailand.

Sincerely,

Lawrence Lantz
lantz@bimi.org

Tiff said...

So excited to see you guys are in Thailand! We are praying for you!=)
Tiff

The Stover Family said...

Okay---its May 27th and you guys seriously need to update your blog. I can say this since I just updated ours. Matt I heard you guys went swimming the other day, I just want to know if you have immersed yourself in the culture enough to wear the same kind of swimsuit as the Thai men? Ask yourself, what would Hudson Taylor do? If the answer is yes, then I want pictures.

Jason