Sunday, August 10, 2008

Erica Understands the value of Money


It's true most pictures are worth a thousand words but this one needs a little explanation to fully understand its significance. The girl on the right it "Pot" our neighbor and the 'crazy' one standing behind them is Lindsey, our daughter. Erica is the one with holes where three of her teeth used to be on Friday morning. Let me explain: On Friday AM, Erica and I went out with with two older Thai men for visitation way out in the countryside villages here in Surin.
Erica has had two teeth that have been loose for about 3 months now. She's normally a pretty tough little girl as exampled by her scratched cornea back in early 2007 and her 6 stitches she got from falling in the bath tub earlier this year. BUT, she was not at all interested in pulling these teeth. So, Friday as we rode around in the back of the truck, I encouraged her to pull one out. Within a few minutes she had it and she was really excited. No tears, no help, she did it all herself. I decided to encourage her to pull the other one by telling her that the tooth fairy who normally gives $5 for the first tooth and $2 for the second tooth would give $5 per tooth if she pulled them both on the same day. About 30 minutes later she decided to pull the other one-again, no help and no tears-she just pulled it right out.

That night as I was preparing to put the teeth under her pillow, she said, "I got it Dad!" I turned to look and sure enough, she had pulled out her third one! Three teeth in one day each earning her $5 per tooth for a total of $15. So, now I'm broke and she looks funny but she's got plenty of money in her wallet now.

3 comments:

Kathi Hayes said...

Way to go, Erica!

Renata said...

Way too funny! Go Erica!

Pastor Adam Love said...

Can your tooth fairy visit my children? I think I feel a loose tooth coming on as well!