Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Snakes in the Yard


Many of you on Facebook have already heard and seen the most recent excitement around the Jones home. Last week, Trevor was outside on a Sunday afternoon playing with a bunch of toads that always hang around our house. He came upstairs yelling about a snake so I went down to investigate. As I opened a small storage door about 10 feet from the door to our house, I saw what looked like a rubber hose laying mostly hidden behind a basket. I quickly realized it was WAY TOO BIG to be a hose and, well, I don’t own any gray hoses! So, I ran and got my hoe and a stick and sent the kids inside. One quick jab with the hoe and I realized this was no ordinary little snake. After I pinned it to the wall it began to make “barking” sounds and it started thrashing about wildly. I was shaking at this point. By the time it was said and done, I had killed a 6 foot 7 inch long Thai “Lion Snake.” It was a nasty thing and even worse it was trying to eat Trevor’s toads right in our front door. So, after killing it, I stuck it in a box and took it to a friend in town. He skinned it, chopped it into little pieces and fried it up with basil and peppers. I had a nice bowl of it over rice and thought it was good even in spite of all the bones!

6 comments:

Loren Fitzgerald said...

Hi Matt, cute snake.
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I haven't had good snake for a while.
Buddy

John Lambert said...

Just found one of these in our yard today! We are in Khon Kaen.

Anonymous said...

nice find--came across this looking for more information on the lion snake: "People still hunt cobras and a snake called Ngu singh (Lion snake). Ngu singh is occasionally sold at the district market in Akat Amnuai. One snake, up to 1,50 m long, costs 80 to 100 Baht there.
Snake meat is considered very delicious." --Joe Hansen

John Tracy said...

Wow Matt! I have cold chills just from reading about it. I HATE snakes! Praying for you guys. You are our featured missionaries at Hillsdale this weekend.

God's best to you,
John Tracy

Anonymous said...

Courtney, I'm not sure if you remember me or not, but I talked to you on the phone about three years ago concerning coming to Thailand. I've been here for over two years now and I'd love to catch up with you. I'm in Bangkok near the Rangsit University. My phone number is 08-7981-3650.

shari said...

Oh, brother, you can see how often I comment on blogs. My name is Shari House and I used to be with Baptist World Mission when I served in New Zealand. Hope to hear from you.