Thursday, November 13, 2008

We Aren't in Kansas Anymore


It's 'harvest' time here in Thailand. The weather has turned cold--we're in the midst of a blistery winter--It was 67 this morning here and we're all FREEZING! We went out yesterday to one of our church member's fields and harvested rice for about an hour or so. At first, walking ankle deep in smelly, slippery cold water was fun. After the stalks of rice have been cut, they're really sharp so wearing shorts wasn't the best idea. After about the first hour, it was pretty tedious. I was muddy from the knees down. My toes were shriveled up from being under water and I was itching and scratched all over my lower legs and my arms. Half the time, I would take a step and my shoe would stay in the mud where I had just been. Needless to say, I kept a watchful eye for snakes (we do have cobras and such here in Surin) and bees nests are always a threat. All in all, I left after helping for just a short while and thought "I can't imagine doing this all day, every day for weeks." I'll never look at a bowl of rice the same again.

2 comments:

Pastor Adam Love said...

Sounds like Fun! (NOT) Sure miss you all. Keep these posts coming. It is a joy to see and hear about the things you are facing there. God's best to you and the family. Sure hope we can play Settlers again soon.

Sarah said...

Wow...that sounds interesting! i love eating rice, but probably would not care for harvesting it!